Sunday, October 10, 2010

Shooting Assignment # 3
As an ode to Eugene Atget, or Bernice Abbott (who followed in Eugene Atget's footsteps), I decided to mix Scott Fortino's style of photography (where his photographs have, in my opinion, a deserted and somewhat stale or lifeless feeling), with that of photographers from the past. I took a History of Photography course this summer, and learned about one very influential photographer in particular: Eugene Atget; famous for his 'documentary' photographs (from 1900s-1920s) of mannequins and store front windows in seemingly deserted areas of Paris, France. Bernice Abbott received Atget's negatives of his 'documents' of Paris upon his death, and afterward decided to emulate Atget's work in her own way. Bernice Abbott wanted to"...photograph her [city of residence] before it changed completely." said Susan Sontag about Abbott in her book titled On Photography.

After this lengthy and epic cheesy introduction, I must mention that my photographs in this post, in comparison to either Atget or Abbott, fall far fromawesome, incredible or [any positive describing word you can insert here] in any matter. As a matter of fact, when I arrived at the location to take these pictures, I realized I left my tripod at home. I failed big time and will have these pictures as a reminder of my failure forever. Enjoy the creepy dolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment